Thursday, August 12, 2010

30 Week Update...

Boy oh boy... I'm getting excited. My sweet baby girl will be here in just 8 to 10 weeks! (You like how I throw in the 8-10? I'm convinced I'll be an exception to the rule and have her early... I know I'm naive, but don't spoil if for me :) For some, that may seem like a long time, but for this momma-to-be... I'm ecstatic! I looked at my calendar and started thinking of what I was doing 8-10 weeks ago... it was the first few weeks in June and summer had started... my sister left for Honduras... Jordan was out of school and had already started working a side summer job.. those are just a few things I thought of. And now, summer is quickly fading, school is back in session, and football season is just around the corner! My sweet baby will be here before I know it!

I've tried to stay on top of things this pregnancy so that everything wouldn't sneak up on me in the end. There are a few more touches to Ada's nursery that need to be done (I will post pictures once the nursery is TOTALLY finished!).. I still have to get together the "necessities" to take to the hospital when we go (I'm not too worried about getting that done anytime soon though).. other than that, until I have my showers, I guess we'll just have to get together what we didn't get at our showers and then we should be ready to bring her home!!

Up until the past few weeks, I've been so blessed to have energy and to still be able to do a lot of what I did before I was pregnant. The last week in July, we went on a small vacation with my family to the mountains in Tennessee. While we were there, we decided we wanted to hike some trails that we'd never hiked before. The first day of hiking was GREAT! It was cool and shady and we hiked right along a creek. Jordan and my sisters Elizabeth and Sarah (Caitlin was in Honduras and Will was at Alpine Camp for Boys) got in the creek and hiked all the way back up the creek instead of on the trail. I knew I would tire more easily being pregnant, so we packed plenty of water and snacks for me, and I took breaks often. Overall, we had a blast! Then, the second day, we chose another trail we had never hiked before..... it was bad, very bad. The trail was extremely narrow, and you could tell not a lot of people hike this trail often. For about an hour and half, we were hiking downhill trying to get to a creek we could hear. It wasn't too bad until I realized that if the whole way in was downhill... the whole way out was going to be UPHILL! The whole way back out, Jordan practically had to pull me. I was having to stop every couple of minutes, and I was having what I called "back spasms".

Ever since that trail, I noticed that I was having several of those "back spasms" a day. Well... I went to the doctor on Tuesday, and needless to say, they weren't back spasms... they were contractions. So now, I'm really trying to take it easy. I usually have anywhere from 8 to 12 contractions a day. At first I was really worried, but Dr. Daniel was quick to reassure me that unless I'm having 12 in a 2 hour period... that I am fine. I'm still battling the swelling, but my blood pressure is still really good. I've gained a total of 7 pounds so far and Ada's heart rate was 148... healthy and strong!

Ada's developments this week: Her brain is developing! It's starting to wrinkle and fold due to the rapid growth of her brain cells. Her fingernails and toenails are finished growing right now. Her bone marrow is now completely in charge of producing her red-blood cells. She is starting to shed her lanugo (the hair that covered her skin)... she's now able to regulate her body temperature now, so she doesn't need the extra insulation :) When Ada is awake, her eyes are wide open, and she can now see the inside of my womb. She hasn't gained much height or weight this week, because most of her energy has been channeled to her brain development. She's still probably weighing in at around 3 pounds and is about 15.5 inches long.

I'll leave you with a couple of pictures of our hike.. no, I'm not in them because I was the photographer :)


Some of the falls at Bald River Falls (we have hiked this trail often... we went there after we left "Grassy Gap"... the trail that almost killed me :)


Jordan, Elizabeth, Sarah, and my Dad hiking up the creek. Dad was determined to stay dry... can you tell by the intensity on his face?


This is Sarah after she climbed up a small waterfall... it took her a minute, but she finally got it :)

1 comment: